Sunday, January 31, 2010

External Hard Drive Woes

The external hard drive is toast!  We found out a few days ago that the info is not recoverable.  It took Mommy a few days to even post it because it is so disappointing.  We can send it away but it would cost at least $500 to $1000 to get the pictures off of it.  There were over 2500 pictures of me on there and 20 or so videos.  We still have the videos on another computer and all of my newborn pictures but everything else is just gone.  The only thing keeping Mommy sane is the fact that we have 20 photo albums of me with most of those pictures in them but the only photos we have from November 1 to January 10th are the ones we posted on my blog.  What makes Mommy so sad about that is the fact that we lost all the other birthday and Christmas pictures that were not posted, and there were a lot!

We are trying not to dwell on it and start a new collection of photos.  It was a hard lesson to learn so please everyone backup your external hard drives too, which seems to defeat the point of having one but apparently you should anyways!  Here is a shot from our new collection.

SONY DSC

10 comments:

Pam said...

I am so sorry this happened.

Shannon said...

ugh! I think that I'm going to have the same realization, but my husband keeps telling me that ours is salvagable. We are going to get a new computer and then try to back up the pics from the hard drive. My guess is that they really are gone and I'm dying inside! I have a lot of prints, but not nearly the number of photos that I have taken! I SO feel your pain!

Unknown said...

Oh no doesn't sound fun at all I have All our pictures needing backing up and sorting will take ages but after reading this think it needs doing I too would be devistated. Big hugs

Jeremi said...

That is such a bummer!! I've spilled coffee on our laptop TWICE (I know . . . ) and both times we spent quite a bit of money to retrieve photos. It's such a horrible feeling.

We actually just bought a new tiny external that is so easy to use.

Great shot of Taylor!!

4chalseys@blogger said...

Oh my gosh... my heart is breaking for you. Thank goodness you have so much printed.

Suki said...

Oh this must be so hard for mommy.
Hugs

Carly said...

Sorry to hear about your hard drive :-( That is a huge bummer!!! I store all of my photos on a hard drive and have not really thought of backing it up. I take so many pictures, not sure how I'd back them all up! I bet you are glad that you blog and have beautiful pictures here!

Mamí♥Picture said...

aww my sweet heart I am so sorry to hear that... =(

Unknown said...

LOL!
You are doing much better then I am with your posting!

Unknown said...

I read your blog on your hard drive.... I am so sorry... if it were me... I would save up every penney to get those photos recovered... it is worth every penney because memories are priceless... i am soooo soo sorry.... I actually lost some photos too awhile ago. I was backing them up on CD's... and then when I went to save them to my smugmug... they didn't save correctly. I was only able to recover about half of the ones I had saved. It was a lesson learned for me too! I now made sure they downloaded to the CD correctly before deleting off computer...